Here you find useful links for studying, working and living in Austria as an international student.


Here you find an overview of the Austrian higher education system and useful information for studying in Austria.

The Austrian Exchange Service is another provider of information on studying in Austria.

Here is a map of all Austrian Universities and here of all Universities of Applied Sciences (UAS).

The studyfinder helps you choose the right programme.

Students enrolled in a Master or PhD programme at one of the following universities are eligible for a One World Scholarship:

Universität Salzburg
Fachhochschule Salzburg
Universität Mozarteum

Universität Innsbruck 
Medical University Innsbruck 
University of Innsbruck Peace Studies 
MCI – Management Center Innsbruck 
FH Kufstein 

The Austrian student’s union (ÖH) is the political representation of all students and provides helpful services like advise and guidance as well as an online market place for jobs and accommodation.
ÖH – Counselling for international students
ÖH Salzburg 
ÖH Innsbruck   


This broshure offers information on studying and working in Austria (pdf).

These are some of the most popular online job portals for students (all in German):

Jobboard of Salzburg University 
Jobboard of ÖH Salzburg 
Jobboard of ÖH Innsbruck 
Student Job
AfricaWorks (for students and alumni from Africa)


Dormitories in Salzburg
Dormitories in Innsbruck
Dormitories in Kufstein


The database grants.at is the most comprehensive collection of all grants and scholarships for students and young researchers.

The Austrian Exchange Service (OeAD) offers a number of scholarships. Click here for further information.


Third Country Nationals:
If you do not have EU/EEA or Swiss nationality you are a so-called "Third Country National" and you will need an entry and residence title for entry to and residence in Austria. More information >>


The main language of instruction at Austrian universities and UAS is German, while only a few programmes are taught in English (Click here for a list). 

In order to be admitted to a degree programme you have to prove sufficient knowledge of German. At some universities you need proficiency in German corresponding to level B2, at others corresponding to level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. There are different diplomas that are accepted, e.g. the "Österreichisches Sprachdiplom" Deutsch, Austria´s officially recognized examination system for German as a foreign language with licensed examination centers all over the world. The respective universities provide you with details about their language requirements.

Image: Sebastian Bernhard, pixelio.de